Friday 28 November 2014

Altered Tattered & Time Worn November Sketch Challenge: XMAS CARD

Hi All,

Have been absent for a few weeks due to Family commitments.

Glad for the ATT November Sketch Challenge to encourage more creative play.
Wanted to make something with a Xmas Theme.



I would like to show some of my creative process.  Some parts working well, other parts not so well, but experimenting & learning achieved.

The paper used is from the Tim Holtz Merriment Paper Stash.  The background rectangle made me think of a brick hearth. So I stencilled with Wendy Vecchi's brick stencil with a mixture of embossing paste, spray stains & 2 different dry glitters as shown below.


I left the surface rough. Love the way this turned out.  Slight glitter visible. Dry with heat tool.


 Cut shelf for hearth from same papers just with stripe going opposite. Popped up with foam strip.
Applied Clear Crackle Paste & Rock Candy Dry Glitter mix through Tim Holtz Gothic stencil above & below the hearth as inspired by the sketch.


Applied it quite thickly so it would crackle nicely. It dried ok on the paper sections but absorbed some of the red colour where applied over the bricks. (Distress spray stain used on them) I get the reason why.  Applied text sticker by Heidi Swapp for the sentiment and left to dry overnight.


For the vertical stripes on the Sketch I chose to hang stockings across the hearth. They were stamped with black archival on white card stock. Slightly shaped by rounding over a fine paintbrush handle. Applied with pop dots & given a coat of glossy accents.  The stamp set used was by Mickey Choo.


The hearth clock and other embellishments were made up from pieces in my stash.  I swiped the stencilled and embossed areas with brushed pewter distress stain to make the crackle stand out.  It actually looks like snow.  I know that I can use this combination for a snow scene in another project.

The card was trimmed and layered on black cardstock then on beautiful embossed paper from House of 3 (Heidi Swapp) from my stash. Corresponding Heidi Swapp sticker applied to inside of card.  Her font is just beautiful & these slightly raised stickers were perfect for this.


Will make this card again using pewter embossing paste with the Gothic stencil.  Think that will give the effect that I was after.  My experiment has led to a recipe for fake snow anyway.
I am embracing the imperfection.  It adds texture & sparkle.

Thanks for Stopping by....Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment